The January e-filing deadline is here! Be sure to file your 990 series forms before midnight tonight (January 17th).
Who should file by tonight?
For most 990 forms, the deadline is the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of an organization’s tax year. This means that the following organizations must file by tonight
- Organizations whose tax year runs from September to August
- Organizations whose original 990 filing deadline was July 15th but filed for a 6-month extension with Form 8868
Choosing the right form
If you’re unsure which form to file, you’ve come to the right place. The form you file will depend on the type of organization you are as well as the gross receipts your organization has at the end of your tax year.
- Form 990-N: Typically filed by organizations that have gross receipts of $50,000 or less
- Form 990-EZ: Typically filed by organizations that have gross receipts of greater than $50,000 but less than $200,000 and total assets less than $500,000
- Form 990: Typically filed by organizations that have gross receipts of above $200,000 or total assets greater than or equal to $500,000
- Form 990-PF: Filed by organizations categorized as private foundations regardless of gross receipts
- Form 990-T: Filed by organizations (except Section 401(a) and 408(a) organizations) that have an unrelated business income of $1,000 or more. Organizations that file this must also file Form 990, 990-N, or 990-EZ, whichever corresponds to the organization’s gross receipts.
Filing an extension
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and can’t file your form by your deadline, don’t worry! You can file Form 8868 for an automatic 6-month extension on your deadline. You can only file this form once per year, so if you have filed an extension already this year, you can’t file another one.
You must file Form 8868 by your original deadline in order to get an extension.
Note: You cannot request an extension for Form 990-N.
Meet your deadline with Tax990
Tax 990 is always ready to help you meet your deadline without any sort of hassles.
We offer exclusive features to ease your filing experience, such as
- Free automatic inclusion of 990 Schedules when required
- An internal audit system that checks your form for IRS instruction errors and alerts you before you transmit your form to the IRS
- The option to copy data from previous returns onto your current year if you have filed with us before
- Bulk upload templates that allow you to upload contributions and grants data all at the same time
- A dedicated customer support team available via email, chat, or phone from Monday to Friday 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM EST
- A knowledge base full of FAQs and trending questions as well as informative blogs, YouTube videos, and e-filing instructions
If your deadline is January 17th, file now! Don’t hesitate and risk facing penalties.
Get started now at Tax990.com!